Local 17 offers an excellent five-year apprenticeship program that is second to none. Below is an overview of the program. Please contact us at 708-468-8000 for more information on how to get started.
Length of Apprenticeship:
Five (5) years—Minimum of 720 hours of classroom instruction.
* Apprentices receive 144 hours of classroom instruction per year.
* Apprentices receive a minimum of 1,600 hours of on-the-job training per year.
- 1st year 50% of journeyman wages
- 2nd year 60% of journeyman wages
- 3rd year 70% of journeyman wages
- 4th year 80% of journeyman wages
- 5th year 90% of journeyman wages
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman wages
Health Insurance, Pension, Annuity.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a G.E.D. Certificate.
- Must be physically fit to work in the construction industry.
- Must pass a drug test (hair follicle).
- Must be a U.S. citizen or in the process of naturalization.
- Must pass an aptitude test.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass a pulmonary function test to wear a respirator.
Heat and Frost Insulators work in all types of weather elements with the majority of the work being performed
outdoors at height.
Recommended Preparatory Classes:
Algebra, geometry and mechanical drawing classes
- Must work well with others.
- Must be able to understand and follow instructions.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Must be able to work at high levels on ladders and scaffolds.
(Helpful, but not necessary for acceptance.)
Hazardous waste handling experience is helpful.
- When we are open for applications, applicants will be required to come to the apprentice school to pick up an application package to be completed. We have not yet set the date for the next selection process. The date will be advertised in local papers and on website. There is a $25 application fee.
- Submit copies of high school diploma and/or G.E.D. Certificate and sealed transcripts.
- Pass a physical exam.
- Submit references.
- Take and pass a general aptitude test.
- Pass a hair follicle drug-screening test.
For More Information:
Heat & Frost Insulators/Local 17 Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee
18520 Spring Creek Drive,
Tinley Park, IL 60477
Coordinator: Robert McGuckin
Local 17 JATC will not discriminate against apprenticeship applicants or apprentices based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, or a person 40 years or older. Local 17 JATC will take affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in apprenticeship and will operate the apprenticeship program as required under Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations, part 30.